When it comes to delay in child bearing- I won't deny that it’s a very sensitive topic to me- tho I’m not trying to for a baby. But it reminds me of a friend of mine (before she had her baby) who was in a Church service when some lady decided to put her new born baby in my friends lap and say, “baby, tell aunty- it is well- her own will soon come”. WTF?!!!!! Another instance, I fell out with a fellow worker in church- it was mother’s day and my Church celebrates all women by giving them gifts. But this worker decided to run his mouth without thinking and said he doesn’t see why he should wish the women without kids Happy Mother’s Day….and there was a married woman (40+) in our mist who we knew was still waiting on God for a child. I mean, come on!!! Let us be sensitive to people around us.
Anyway, I digress…………but next week Saturday (August 22nd), Vera will be doing a show about women who are 30, accomplished, and single and needs a co-host. But for some reason she’s unable to get an actual co-host. Her single 30 year old female friends have disappeared from the virtual world and some are shocked that they are still single. Shocked? That’s understandable, but as Vera said, dem suppose come out of their shock. Plenty plenty babes wey done pass 30 dey single. Ko si big deal- nah? Lol!! If you fall in the category- please check out her website for more details by clicking her name or emailing radio@verastic.com or calling 1-443-934-9039.
So why is being single at a certain age seen as a shameful thing? Why is it seen as sad case? Why is it seen as a situation that needs God’s intervention/ serious deliverance? Why is it used to punch someone below the belt? For e.g. a recent blogger made this comment on my recent post where I had mentioned my flatmate is a single 31 yr old girl (please note I turn 30 on the 21st so na only one year the girl take old pass me o):
“…….what’s with you using "31 and single" against her... since when is that a problem? Especially when that is your situation too?”
Against ke? When I read this it puzzled me how that particular statement was misconstrued as a punching line. If I had said 21 and single or 31 and married- would it have been viewed that way? So yes I ask again, why is being single at my age seen as a stigma? With the type of sympathetic look I get, is it something I should be ashamed of? Why can’t people phantom the idea that one can be single at such age and be happy? Is marriage the only way one can be happy? Is it unheard of to be married and unhappy or be single and happy? Cos when I sit back and think, my (lack of) marriage status isn’t what is really weighing me down at the moment. I’ll be high as a kite if I’m able to rent my condo and I get a fantastic job.
For my fellow single bloggers who are unhappy because of their status- do not be misled or mistaken that marriage will make you happy. Though I suggest taking your time and being picky- don’t be too picky o! Cos if as a babe you’re looking for a Tyrese or Will Smith look alike- then you’re on your own. Sorry for you. lol!!! If as a dude you dey look for virgin and u sef no bi virgin- sorry for you. If as a dude you're looking for Halle Berry with a Bible- bigger sorry for you. My suggestion for u is to look for a prayer warrior and take her to Mary Kay or better still to Mac. If you’re looking for a millionaire- I pray you'll find and all the things that come with it. And for the love of God and your own happiness DO NOT fall prey to outside pressure so that your case isn’t like the case of SoloD’s post: tttec-marital pressures can ruin lives. And remember you’re not the only one!!!! Plently plenty hens dey single and norrin do dem. lwkmd!
On a lighter note check out my baidai hair o my peeps. What do you think of my fullhawk? Na early mid life wey dey worry me- nah? Hehehehehe. If you wish to call me on my birthday- you can reach me on 401 285 0701. Hehehehe!!! I'd definitely appreciate it. Actually why wait till then? Holla!!!!
56 comments:
Firstus!
2nddddddddddd!
All these marriage talk don tire me for real. Your hair looks good. I like it!
agreed
Please ease up on the chic you live with. Practice kindness and you may see another side of her.
happy for you, my hair could never do that. ur hair looks good
Nice Anon- tell me about it. It's like everywhre one goes- story. I've decided to start going to a non- Nigerian church.
Ebony- congrats?
Tisha- lol@ practicing kindness. Were u under the impression that i was being wicked towards her? As for the hair- muchos gracias!
This is exactly why I think you should co-host d show! U have strong views about this which makes for an interesting show!
Pretttyy pleaaaaaaaaaaase!
Are you then saying Tigress that you are not happy?
I believe that it is possible to be happy (read- fufilled) at 30 and not married. It would be hard, but I do think it is possible.
I should prolly add that Im single but not 30, almost, but not quite.
But Ive been single for a LOONG while and it took me a while to grow into myself and actually say, that Im happy with or without a bf...or is that not the same thing?
???
Oh And I dont mean to spam you, but I looove your hair!!!
Now Im jealous....I wanna cut my hair back...*pouts*
lmao at the pictures oh! were u supposed to mutilate them like so?
lol
hmmn...this singleton somethin is a supersensitive topic for me o...so I pass mehn...full pass!
i am digging the new do!
All this talk abt marriage, LOOK ALIVE people. Nxt saturday seems like it's gonna be fun!
Bumight- so u're one of the people that suggested me. LOL!!! well just wait and see.
Rethots- i dont like the hmmm... :( :(
Fabulo- I'm happy but not high as a kite- just have a one too many things on my mind- once that is taken care of- i'll be good. No biggie tho. So why do u think it's hard to be happy at 30 and single? I dont see anything hard about it- it's all in the mind.
Chari- hehehehe! yeh i did that intentionally. lol@ full pass.
Chayoma- I feel sorry for singles residing in Naija cos me that i'm in Yankee- Church/Naija people here are too much. If it's not ur parents- its some relative. so i've decided to get away from the Naija Church setting- that way its only from my relatives i hear all that nonsense from. KILODE!!!!!???
Loves, loves, loves the hair!
Infact, i'm going to do my own baiday hair sef. (na so, like i can fit to afford hairdresser right now)
Na wa for this crayon u take jagajaga d picture oh.
I sooo can't wait for verastic on sat!
Still talking women 30 and single here too? At least I am clear now it's all about women. You guys are sexist ooo, what about the men?
Check out my romance novel blog here
www.mynewhitmanwrites.blogspot.com
ROFLMAO @ "If as a dude you're looking for Halle Berry with a Bible- bigger sorry for you"...gosh, aint that the truth!
...I almost die with indignation, when I hear people say they want a God-fearing partner, and they dont even know a bible scripture off the top of their head - or they want someone with a 6-pack/figure 8, and they very well know their own bellies runneth over....or....
if i continue, space no go remain for other people...lol
Your hair looks nice, and the little of your face that we can actually see, lol
Yellow looks phenomenal on you.
Are you going to be one of the cohosts on Vera's talk show? You'll be 30 the day before the show! :)
the fact is nigerians have badddddddddddddddd mouth...all africans inclusive..but still those situations are not one i'd even wish an enemy.
Mizchif- muschos gracias :) lol@ jagajaga. This anticipation for Vera's show- it looks like i'll tune in o.
Fabulo-la- sorry forgot to say thanks. :) Initially i was like errr...... but now u guys are making me like my hair.
Myne Whitman- thanks for stopping by. xxxx (u're a guy right cos dis one i'm blowing u kisses). Pls pls pls change the format of ur blog- i.e. the comment part. I'm unable to leave a comment and i soooooo badly wanted to claim first. PLEASE change it.
AJ- thank u!! all these men that want nice looking figure 8 flat stomach babes- if u see dem- dey look like crayfish. me i dont target very cute guys- i know my level. But Fresh is cute tho. eeemm.....hehehehehe
GNG- aaaaawww- thank u my sweets. btw i know i've said this over and over but i sure am looking forward to meeting you. Not sure of cohosting- i've given Vera a condition- she has to meet up with me in MD this weekend. lol!!
Honestly i really think this issue has well been overflogged ...wtf??
Whoever said you cant be single at 30 and still be happy? I think this is all a question of understandin who you are and not condescendin to the stereotypes people come up with..Understanding that being happy doesnt mean everythin is perfect but meaning that you see beyond your imperfections and submittin yourself to your inner will,your inner pride and not taggin along with the ish people come up with...
Why taint the pictures now madam?
Happy birthday in adv..
Cheers..
Nigerians with their bad mouth. i think vera did a show on that not too long oh.
Most of this people think on the surface when they talk, can you blame them.
happy birthday in advance.
Crayon -- or what? Happy birthday in advance.. Leos rock by the way!
Love your piercings and the hair!Its amazing how insensitive some people can be, I think its mostly the older generation that are guilty.
I don't pray to be single when I'm 30, but if that happens, all well and good. I'm not going to go on a desperado man-hunt and marry the next available stranger. If getting hooked doesn't happen as planned, then I focus on my career and see what happens next.
Happy B-Day in advance! Is there going to be a parrrryyy??? Expect my call.
im loving the hairsytle ooo....off to read
ok...Nigerian are tactless...enough said
My dear, this issue don tire me too o. Apparently a soon-to-be-30 year old man isn't spared the harassment either. I've started wishfully annoying people by telling them I'm not going to marry but I'll just find a live-in lover and stay with. Wetin sef?
AJ knack the hammer for head well-well regarding the partner of choice issue so nothing more to add there.
I won't lie and say I love the hair because honestly I no sabi anything for that side.
I don't know for you oh, but as for me, I'll be single, 30, and happy. Chikena!
PS: Abeg don't mutilate your fine picture again. This crayon art no be am.
Lumidee said it all!!
I have so much to say on this..but bottom line this shouldnt even be an issue to be discussed coz then we're acting all high n mighty...happiness comes from within..its self-development..its self-love..and no one needs another man or woman to determine their happiness..gurl i could go on n on about this but guess any1 who wants to hear my feistness might have to tune into the show as m a stand-by co-host...
love the hairdo!!! As for me anything that short, I'd just give my Bajan hairdresser Grace a call and she do it as a weave coz as i told Kemberley me no cut me hair..lol!!
Being single at 30 does not equal happiness! If a person can not be happy without being in a relationship then they never will be...happiness should evolve internally. Its a common misconception or let's just say ignorance that people pressure others to marry because of their age. I believe one would rather be single at 30 and happy vs being married for 30 yrs and being unhappy...for the most part I feel that Africans make a huge thing outta it!..
Btw...I lovvveeee your hair! It's hot and HAPPY BDAY IN ADVANCE, May you see many more yrs to come!
Is that all ur hair or is there a weave sumwhere in there. FABULOUS!!! I wish I had the liver to cut mines...its jst too much maintenance for me. Love it girl!!!!
Nigerians can be so tactless..'twas like we are on the same wavelength on this cos i just made a post on somethings one shouldn't just say.
And yes, a woman (or man, for that matter) should fine personal happiness but joining with someone els.
And girl, ur hair is fab. rock it, baby!!
LOL.Tigeress, see how you scratched out your face...ah ah! I'm not really happy about people's insentivity to varying circumstances others are in. I just slipped into 20, so I'm still on my way to 30!
x!
I loooooove your hair. But I will not be chopping my own hair soon. As for the post as usual you nailed it. Being happy and single at 30 or age is possible. Any problems you have now will not magically disappear once you get married.
LOooooove the hair! Happy birthday in advance. I miss my crazy hair days o! I didn't see a country code on the phone no o! Na +1 or +44 or +35? Hola
Waoh, me love the hair oooo...lol
But to maintain am go hard me small wuld rather prefer something rough like a dreadlock that I wont even bother brushing or straightening, im dat lazy when it comes to hair ooo...lol
Anyway, on the 30+ stuff, still don't understand why ladies go way off the board in taking that personal as in tooooooo personal...mchew!
Single life is a phase and it is one thing you must enjoy while it last but caution shuld be taken so as not to let some good guys pass you by I think that is here some ladies miss it.
Aw you dey my dear?
enjoy your weekned.
xx
Marriage talk is beginning to tire me!!!
it seems like a bug everyone is catching.
I have also found out that i love myself more and radiate with happiness when single than days in a relationship.
Lol @ If as a dude you're looking for Halle Berry with a Bible- bigger sorry for you.
Looooooooooooooving your hair
your hair is bunzz and so healthy...
i think you should co-host the show o!
we all pray that we marry before the big 30 but alas, some of us find ourselves in this situation, so what?!?!
there's this sis (quite old), my neighbour. she's fine and nice and tries to live a good life. so my friend K was yabbing this sis for tooshing her house to taste, K thinks its pointless as she isnt married, she should be "humble" so she can find a man, she is making the house too fine like she wont ever move out of there etc, etc!
WHAT DA HELL?!!!!!!!!!!
(K is very myopic, i intend to get her glasses of the soul)
i am 27, pray i marry before the big 30 but if i dont before then, i wont kill myself! i intend to have a fulfilled life as much as i can before Mr. comes.
and if anyone is bothered, they can take me to that shop where they sell husbands and give me the money for it or shut their mouth!
I like the shape of ur head!!! Mines too round :)
Yes it is possible to be single at 30 and happy and u can also be single at 23 and miserable. I was getting like that, had to snap out of it. There's more to life than man man man!
Enjoy ur wknd!
1. Gorgeous hair by the way. You look way stunning
2. You could be single, 30 and happy. Yup. but you aren't content. End of story...except if you dont want to marry. I am 23 single and happy but I am not content because I want to be married. Not because the society wants me to be, but because that is what I want for my life. A life partner. Most humans want this.
3. The only problem is that there is a cultural law you are breaking when you are single and 30 and unmarried. Cultural norm.....actually. but that doesnt imply that you should be unhapppy.
Have a great week
Temite
Lmao....
why u come design ur face like dat na?
We for like to see our pretty Tigeress @ 30.
...the hairdo looks good BTW.
Lol @ halee berry with bible. PEople ask for too muchi ei?
I like ur hair do oh...Il hola at u on ur bdai no worries! Ul hear my sexy voice.
plain fact: marriage is not compulsory. Fullstop!
hmmmm pple r sooo not sensitive nw adays...y d fuck did she tell her baby to tell d woman her own would come...can d baby tlk..like wtf really....lol...31 n single isnt such a big deal my auntie got married @ 40.
How dare you do all this jagala jagala on your face?!?! Oya, go and e-wash your face immediately.
LOL @ Bumight. Y did she have to go and reveal her identity? Well, she's not the only one who recommended you sef. And no, I ain't telling!!
As for the singles stuff... we'll have to talk about it on the air!! I reserve my comments.
Oh, but thanx 4 mentioning it oh. See you in a few (since you're FORCING me to show you my beaurriful face)
that is ridiculous! marriage does not come with a happiness guarantee. mscheeew. this reminds me of a research i read that said that women with high blood pressure tend to be married women? marriage is all well and good but being single ain't no disease either. what ignorance!
d very sad truth in naija is that once u hit 30, everyone starts panicking 4 u. it's not cos u r any less pretty oh, or intelligent oh. it's just dat d competition is not higher, with d odds more against u. here in najia, men mostly marry wen they hit 30 or a little above it. & most men want to marry chicks they are older than. & since a woman gets into d workforce as young as 22 these days, a young man can easily find a 25 - 28 year old working-class girl, & still feel he is not picking a baby or someone he'd train through school. Den again, d 30 year plus babe may not want to marry her age-mate, who she may be earning more money than. (i don't know y, but in naija here, most men don't really come into comfortable salaries until they are in their 30s. while women are relatively more affluent @ a younger age). These are the odds against a 30+ & single woman! Not to mention dat our naija men 'caveman' mentality of not wanting a woman too set in her ways.
So really, a single woman in her 30s is 'perceived' as being disadvantaged on d marriage scene. unfortunately, this perception has nothing to do with her abilities to make a damn good wife, better than her younger competitors. (note, i use competitor cos d truth b told, getting married is almost like getting a job. nobody would know ur true worth if ur 'CV' is badly written).
If u think singles are unjustly ostracized, imagine wot happens 2 childless couples. a single lady can blame societal perception of her age 4 being a negative against her, when she is perfectly made to make a jolly good wife 2 a good man. but d childless woman can't say that. so, her 'inability' (pls permit d use of dat word, for lack of something more appropriate coming to mind right now) feels more personal. Months of trying for a child made me realize just how helpless i was to accomplishing a feat i formerly taken 4 granted because of all d pregnant women i'd see on d streets.
another thing: happiness is a state of mind. not a state of affair. u can be happy, in any circumstances u r in.
ooh weee, your hair is cute!
back to the main topic - as you know from that TTTEC post, I don't believe in forcing anybody into marriage. My grandmother was not forced. My mother was not forced. I was not forced and nor shall my children be forced. Those things come at their time. For some it takes longer and for others it might never even come (yes, that is a reality). We all have to be happy with who we are and everything else will fall into place, in my opinion.
I thoroughly enjoyed the frankness of this post. Take care my sista. Will you be co hosting with Vera?
Your hair is lovely. My dear, I just listened to Michelle McKinney Hammond speak at a conference this weekend and I had to hail her. She is 52, single and satisfied. I always tell people that the instant you start feeling like you need a man to complete you then it's a wrap. I'm very single and very content and happy with where I am in life. I realize that marriage is not for everybody, it might not be in my future and you know what? the idea of that doesn't make me break out in a cold sweat.
The world we live in and its stereotypes..smh. Love the hair!
leggy- bad mouth or bad mouth. thanks for stopping by.
Trybes- Over flogged? As for happines- pls tell them o! I hope you'll be joining Vera's show this coming Saturday.
BSNC- join the call this saturday
DannyB- yeolz we ROCK!!!
Ms.Dufa- Dont be mislead that its mostely the older generation- u'll be surprised how many younger folks think like that.
No parry o! :(:(
Cici- thank u. :)
Naughty Eyes- I like dat name. As for noesy folks- i sometimes tell them i'm getting married next weekend.
Shona- girl......I have no words- u know how i feel already.
BBYW- thanks for stopping by. Well if they feel that is what defines them- then maybe? join the call this saturday.
U7- lol! If i had a weave somewhere- why wld i declare on blogsville?
Histreasure- tactless is an understatement- i reckon ignorant is more like it.
Bob-ij- 20? u still have a long way. plenty of boys to come. hehehehe
Kookie- thank u me dear. It was nice chatting to u the other day. u good?
LusciousR- I'm based in the US. u were really gonna call? lol! ooops my bad! aaaawwww that is so sweet.
SassyT- thanks for the wise words.
GWRH- a bug? shows u've reached that 'age'. :):)
Doll- u reckong i shld? ok!
Omotee- ur friend K is not the sort of person that wld be my friend- is she married? I pray you get married when you want. But to be honest if u're still single at 30- no biggie. Its honestly not that bad. It's younger girls who think it is.
Arewa-lol@ ur head being round. My dear u can be married with kids at 25 and be miserable. Marriage does not define happiness.
Temite- No content? and what if u dont get married for the next 8 years- what are u gonna do? Live life miserable?
Aphrodite- lol@ pretty. tank u tank u tank u
Penelope- folks are ridiculous with their requirements. No it isnt compulsory and i see nothing wrong with those that do not want to get married.
Mz. Eniola- waow@ 40?! thanks for sharing. And is she happy or not? Does she feel she's superior cos she don get husband?
Bibi- well said my dear, well said.
FFF- eeemmm...............
SD- thank you very much. Yes i will be hosting with Vera. :) I hope you'll tune in.
Original Mgbeke- I didnt know she was single. Waow. To be honest- if not for Xtianity- i probably wldnt get married- but celebacy isnt for me and i want kids- then again i can adopt. emm......
Burracup- muchos gracias! ;)
very interesting post with very cogent points...every woman CAN and SHOULD be COMPLETE in herself...
lol @ Halle Berry with a Bible...
those e.g.s you cited...r they for real? can people really be that callous? my word!
lol @ Vera's "e-wash" ur face...
yayyyy new profile pics :-)
i like u (ie ur hairstyle
Doyin- thank you o! u have spoken wisely.
LG- if u like me- no biggy. :):):) I like u too.
Post a Comment