Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I begged for money on the NYC subway

Yes, you read right and it’s not one of my jokes. So I targeted getting to the Canadian Embassy 8am with the hope that by 10am I for don collect my Canadian visa. I get to 23rd Street and realize my Metrocard has like $2 (one way is $2.15). Np- abi? Let me get cash out of my purse/wallet. WAHALA!!! My purse no dey for bag- I literally have a panic attack. Luckily I have 25c at the bottom of my bag- so I topped the card up. The dilemma was- should I go back to work and go 2mrw or go ahead and hope God will miraculously put $2.15 in my bag on my way back. The Just shall live by faith after all- so I go ahead. But I can't stop thinking of how I’ll get back. I’m thinking, I’m thinking…… and I thot eemmm…… let me beg for money- at least when they see me they shld believe my purse story- nah? I sized up one lady up and took the bold step of asking her for some change. The woman gon sef come size me up talk sey- “sorry, I don’t have cash on me”. Shooooo!!! My people, it was a humbling experience. Cos I REALLY needed the change- and it didn’t feel good begging talk less being rejected. Please my people- let us be more sympathetic to beggers. Most of the time I give to people (beggers) who ask me for money but if I’m in a hurry or in a dodgy area- I don’t.

Anyway, I as I sat on the train, I prayed to God to tell me what to do. Then I remembered I dey NYC naow? Plenty Chase dey for this city. I have my passport with me as ID and I have my cheque book. Phew!!! So I come out of the train station at my destination- I look left, I look right, I look left again and then I look straight and there it was staring right at me- CHASE. Ope o! I look left and right again to locate the Canadian Consulate- norring. Then I look straight ahead- and there it was- 1251. In the same building with Chase! OMD, I don’t care what ‘yawl’ say but that’s God. I just thank God. So I was able to get enough cash for lunch, my train back, and for my visa application. But I left the embassy in a bad mood. I had to wait 3 WHOLE hours for my visa. Waiting is not one of my virtues. I was so moody that I had a cheese burger with fries to cheer myself up. God forgive me- cos I feel like I’m sinning when I feel this way or when I’m angry.

Randoms……
So it’s been brought to my attention that some people think I talk about my men/marriage (or lack of it) too much. I mean seriously? Whose blog is this? And what are you expecting me to talk about? My children? My employess? My Church as a Pastor? My wedding? My challenges as a Senator? Other people/bloggers? Nooooooo, I’m gonna talk about my own challenges. What I’m going thru. It’s now up to you my fellow bloggers to read or not. I will not write about what you feel I should write about. When I signed up to blogspot.com, there were no restrictions as to what I can write about. When I write about being unmarried and all the guys I ‘talk’ to- I write with the mind set that there are folks out there who might not have embraced their single status like I have. Folks who are worried or depressed about being single. Folks who might think they are the only ones on earth that are single. Folks who have the perception that after a certain age- no man talks to you. I let people know that I too CONSTANTLY face bs from people. I write about myself so they can see that- KO SI BIG DEAL!!! Norrin do you. And I believe there is at least one person who gains from my blog. So I am sorry, but if writing about myself bothers you, please move on to the next blog. Muchos Gracias!!

Speaking of which, I saw Vera over the weekend and Bumight as well. Both are very lovely good looking young women- and it was a pleasure meeting them. They both (separately) hung out with me for quite a while which was a pleasant surprise. Thank you guys for coming over to visit me- I appreciate. Anyway, back to what I was saying, Vera was able to twist my arms into co-hosting her show about "folks 30+, accomplished, single and happy" this coming Saturday. So as a REMINDER REMINDER REMINDER, please tune in this Saturday 10am EST by dialing 646-929-1905 or check out http://www.blogtalkradio.com/verastic for more details on how to listen online and group chat.


*****************************
So that you guys have something to ponder upon for Saturday, below are comments posted on my blog by two bloggers. Lets hear your views. Come and hear my sexy voice (LOL!!). Talk to you guys then. Stay blessed.

LUMIDEE said...
........................Whoever said you cant be single at 30 and still be happy? I think this is all a question of understandin who you are and not condescendin to the stereotypes people come up with..Understanding that being happy doesnt mean everythin is perfect but meaning that you see beyond your imperfections and submittin yourself to your inner will,your inner pride and not taggin along with the ish people come up with...


FFF said...
d very sad truth in naija is that once u hit 30, everyone starts panicking 4 u. it's not cos u r any less pretty oh, or intelligent oh. it's just dat d competition is not higher, with d odds more against u. here in najia, men mostly marry wen they hit 30 or a little above it. & most men want to marry chicks they are older than. & since a woman gets into d workforce as young as 22 these days, a young man can easily find a 25 - 28 year old working-class girl, & still feel he is not picking a baby or someone he'd train through school. Den again, d 30 year plus babe may not want to marry her age-mate, who she may be earning more money than. (i don't know y, but in naija here, most men don't really come into comfortable salaries until they are in their 30s. while women are relatively more affluent @ a younger age). These are the odds against a 30+ & single woman! Not to mention dat our naija men 'caveman' mentality of not wanting a woman too set in her ways.


So really, a single woman in her 30s is 'perceived' as being disadvantaged on d marriage scene. unfortunately, this perception has nothing to do with her abilities to make a damn good wife, better than her younger competitors. (note, i use competitor cos d truth b told, getting married is almost like getting a job. nobody would know ur true worth if ur 'CV' is badly written).

32 comments:

BSNC said...

ist

AliceDCL said...

hey first!!!!
hey girl....
not being around for a yl missed ur blog
i try to give to beggars when i can...
glad things worked out for u..
whats all this talk about being 30 ans single..since when is there an age restriction on being single..
u go girl.. live ur life..
the men will come at d right time.. better to be single now and marry at 30 and stay married for life than to marry at 25 and get divorced at 35.
and to those complaining about u talking about guys...
scr*w them..(forgive my language)
its ur blog..write what u want..
laterz

BSNC said...

Yes its your blog oh. I gain alot from your blog, those that have eyes let them read..

i wish i could tune in on saturday, i have to work :(

Original Mgbeke said...

Awww, I'm sure it was a humbling experience...begging for money that is. But hey! errythang worked out for you eventually.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm glad things worked out for you. I am sure it wasn't easy for you to have to ask for $$ and the good thing is it made you more sympathetic to those who beg (though you seem to be quite sympathetic already).

Congrats on joining the panel for Saturday's talk! It'll be your first official duty as a 30 year old...too cute!

miss.fab said...

Lol the title of your post certainly caught my attention. Thank God for atm's! My experience at the Canadian embassy was smooth too but I too had to wait about 3+ hours. Wasn't very happy about that

Love audio posts so I'll probably tune in on Saturday

Ebony~!* said...

at one point in our lives, we all go through a 'HUMBLING' experience. LOL i liked this!

Anonymous said...

chee yah...anyway,everything turned out well i guess.
and i loved the second person's opinion..it was on point.

chayomao said...

Diggin this one oh!
Hopefully i can make the show...

Scarlet said...

Yes o there is a God!!!
Who are all this people complaining??? dats what the x button at the top is for. If they don't like it they should bugger off.

Nice Anon said...

i once gave this lady money and she demanded more. I shock oo! From that day I stopped giving money. Glad you got out of the situation.

Tigeress said...

BBB- sorry BSNC beat u to it. U must be new at this thing. If u want to claim first- u dont write story o. U claim it and then come back and write ur story/comment. lol! thanks for stopping by.

BSNC- u know actually BBB is first sha? :) thanks for the comment. Shame u cant tune in- can u use ur cell phone- cos u can listen in.

OriginalM- thank God things worked out- if not i wld have walked 20 blocks to catch train to work.

MissFab- i didnt use ATM- had to go to cashier.

Ebony- thanks for stopping by. Glad it entertained u.

Leggy- I hope u'll be able to join the call. thanks!

Chayoma- pls try to make it. or at least listen in.

Scarlet- Amen to that my sista- there is a God- i know too well.

Nice Anon- Or they tell u how much they want and when u give them less they look at it as if.....wetin do u? lol!!

Tomibecca said...

" I will not write about what you feel I should write about."..You go girl!!

Mschew.....HEhE people never seize to amaze me!!how is the content of your blog affecting them now..It's sha not by force to read.KMT.

cici said...

gurl pls keep writing whatever u feel like cuz if I say I like ur posts then its an understatement, and whenever u are in maryland make una holla me oo..(tho I'm a new blogger but still)...and yea will most def be tuning in on sat..good luck

histreasure said...

Do your thing , girl..d blog's ur wo do with as you deem fit.. it's your life, it's your thoughts..and this space is for u to let it out, express, live..
glad u got out of the sticky situation..must've bn humbling

TRYBES said...

Thanks for the mention..

To all the haterz who keep spillin s**t..let them keep talkin while you keep doin your thang..
I really dont understand why people always want you to live by their own rules and standards..
Its really sickenin..and yes a blog is meant for you to pour out all your gibberish and whoever feels they heard enuff or think in their wisdom they know enuff should use the x botton..

Keep doin your thing gurl!

TayneMent said...

off topic, you had commented that you couldnt find the shewolf video. here it is : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YE73xXT0H1s&annotation_id=annotation_690611&feature=iv

Miss Enigma said...

Lol...I was jst gonna say why ddn't go to ur bank to withdraw money, then I read on. Luv my Chase, they everywhere :).

Mehn I personally dnt think I wld have been able to ask for chnge o.I wld hve def gone back home or gone to the bank lyk u did. I live in NY too and I see d luks dt beggars get...liver no carry me.

I sometimes dnt understnd hw ppl think dey can dictate wat ppl post on their blogs...I think sometimes they forget that Blogspot isn't lyk a mewspaper/magazine column that is dedicated to a certain topic. *sigh*

PS:Thankx for the kind words dear...highly appreciated.

Vera Ezimora said...

I twisted your arm, ehn?!?! LOL. See, don't be lying on me ooo. I remember the whole thing quite differently. It was YOU who begged ME!!

Shuuooo!!

Okay, fine... I begged you. Wareva! LOL.

U begged 4 money? Chei. I can only imagine how it felt to be rejected. Imagine what the actual beggars actually go thru everyday. God dey.

Anonymous said...

*shudders* if I say this single at 30 smthng no dey smthng I dey lie, bad bad...

*sigh* I tried ta call you on your b'day omo no show oh!

LMAO! at ur begging mehn! looool!!!

Olufunke said...

I can imagine what you had to go through 'begging' and to add salt upon injury, being 'rejected'

Yes o.....your blog is YOURS!

LOL@ And what are you expecting me to talk about? My children? My employees? My Church as a Pastor? My wedding? My challenges as a Senator? Other people/bloggers?

I agree with FFF comments about the 30+ single lady in Nigeria.

Cheers!

~Sirius~ said...

aaaaah, i've been in a have to beg situation before : NOT FUNNY!

As for those comments I totally agree

truth b told, getting married is almost like getting a job. nobody would know ur true worth if ur 'CV' is badly written

WORD!!!

Sassy Trends said...

Waoh!
Really humbling!!!!
Stuffs like that comes up once in a while....no doubt!!!
Anyway, can't wait to hear you guys on vera's next edition.

xx

Enkay said...

Talk about eating "humble-pie"! Pele!

For Lag here, na to enter the danfo and chill till conductor begin ask for money and then start to beg. For sure, other passengers will either beg for you, or someone will be nice enough to pay your T-fare. lol!

Thank God it all worked out in the end.

Wondering what all those complainers would rather have you blog about though.

princesa said...

Lol!

Abeg babe, i support u for dat one. It's nobody's biz what u choose to write on ur blog!

Loved FFF's comment.So true.

LusciousRon said...

This is your blog so write whatever you damn feel like writing. If anyone does not like it, they can take a hike! Abi, no one begged them to type the url.

I feel you on the begging scene . i did it once at a train station. Luckily there was a Naija guy at the place who helped out. he saw the Nairas in my wallet!

Omo there is a God o.

Tigeress said...

Mcrazy- u know here? Thanks for stopping by. ;)

Cici- I will do just that. :) And if u're ever in NJ/NY give me a shout.

Histreasure- glad i did o. I pray it doesnt happen again.

Lumidee aka Trybes- lol@ haters. Thank you my dear.

TayneMent- thanks- i ended up checking it out but i didnt think it was that bad. I actually like the cage bit- thot it was hot. Didnt she cld dance small. I men sure wld LOVE that video. hehehehe

UnderCover7- u know sey no bi everybody sharp reach u naow. When i'm asked for my ID- i think of licence etc which is in my purse (wallet). So I have that missing and i honestly cldnt think of a form of ID immediately. Then it clicked my passport will suffice. Plus na only ATM i dey use- totally forgot u cld get money from cashier- lol!

Vera- lol@ twisting my arm. As for the beggers- they wld have become immune to it.

Chari- i hope you'll be able to tune. :) my baidai is this Friday.

Olufunke- thanks for stopping by. Glad u found my post funny. :)

Sirius- thanks i'm not the only who has been that situation. I actually left it at home. ok on the CV but can someone PLS tell me how the odds are against me?!!!

SassyT- glad u can make it.

Enkay- tank u jare- but no biggy. I just put am for body.

Princesa- ose o! :) I dont live in Naija so I dont totally agree with FFF's comment. so to me- its not so true. And it seems once u're single over a certain age- one is condemned to singledom for life- WHICH IS A LIE!!!!

LusciousRon- Thats God o. Thank God.

Writefreak said...

Begging...awww...thank God for stepping up for you! He always does that!
And yes, i agree, it's your blog and no one can tell you what or what not to write about...if i don't want to read, i go away, capish!

Writefreak said...

Begging...awww...thank God for stepping up for you! He always does that!
And yes, i agree, it's your blog and no one can tell you what or what not to write about...if i don't want to read, i go away, capish!

The Activist said...

Pele my dear. Hmmm I had to trek for abt an hr one day like that I didnt have money on me. I have asked for help like that be and I was not turned down but I didnt not want it repeated since you can't tell the real needy frm the fake ones in Lagos nowawadys.

This is yoru house and you live here, so blog about what you feel and want to share. It's your space dear, everyone shd know that. i will send you an email as soon as I calm down from a lot of activities that have taken up all my time.

XOXO

Sumptuous said...

Having to beg some random person for money! I can only imagine. Definately not a 'sexy' experience. Thank God things worked out well and u didn't have to jog home. Your writtings are quite insightful and I think we all write for ourselves first of all not bcos of what some 'gbeboruns' will say.

kuesooM said...

Hmm...I've given my metro cards to people several times in NY, just always think why not lend a hand, its only $2. Good thing u bank with a common bank in NY.