Thursday, July 30, 2009

Madoff: A Nigerian Jew?

For those of you who are not interested or not into the Financial World- you might as well shut down your browser now and come back when I’m talking about………whatever I normally talk about. lol!!

Bernard “Bernie” Madoff, a ‘Nigerian’ Jew? Lol!! It’s very interesting how Nigerians are arguably considered the most corrupt people on earth. Me sef wey I be Naija person, I dey fear for my people. Cos Nigerians are just wrong!!!! And in most cases lack any form of conscience and would do anything in order to make money. But that’s story of another day. Now the 419 Nigerians are internationally known for emails about their relative who died and has PLENTY money in a foreign account and need to transfer money blah blah blah. You guys know that scheme. Now personally the folks who fall for this are just greedy individuals who I can't sympathize with. I mean, how can someone who you don’t know say they’ll dash you millions of dollars- just like dat? Na plantain chips?!!! Now there is a new one of winning lottery. I don’t know how I could have played a lottery in the UK while I’m Yankee- I look like mugun?

But with Madoff meeeeehhnnnnnn- forget, he was/is the scammer of the century, convicted of operating a Ponzi scheme that has been called the largest investor fraud ever committed by a single person. Single (assumed) handedly pulled a cover over SEC’s eyes. They must feel like the biggest fool ever, I mean a WHOLE U.S. SEC!!!! WTH?!!! You see, those Nigerian scammers base their operations on the scammees being muguns/greedy. And I may be wrong, but I wouldn’t have thought any of the Naija scammers were well respected in the financial world. But Rupert was another level, and I’m sorry- in as much as what he did was TOTALLY wrong, I have to give him respect. First and foremost- I pray that may all the finances of the scammees Rest in Peace. Amen! :)

Madoff, a prominent philanthropist, was born April 29, 1938 to a Jewish couple in Queens NY. A plumber turned stockbroker (the American dream) once served as a non-executive chairman of the NASDAQ stock exchange, founded the Wall Street firm Bernard L. Madoff Investment Securities LLC in 1960, served on boards of nonprofit institutions and universities, was one of the top market maker businesses on Wall Street, which bypassed "specialist" firms, by directly executing orders over the counter from retail brokers.

So what exactly did Madoff do? What is this Ponzi scheme they are all shouting about? Richard Lawson’s blog explains what a Ponzi scheme is:
1. Scammer asks scammees to lend him money, promising big returns.
2. 10 Scammees give say 100 each = 1000.
3. Scammer gives each 10 at end of year, and keeps 900 for his lifestyle.
4. Scammees are pleased with their 10 (believing it to be in addition to the 100
they gave, which is not now the case, as it has gone to support the scammers lifestyle). Scammees are encouraged to recruit further scammees, who repeat 2,3,4, until no further scammees are recruited, or until the original scammees request their money back.
5. The scam works while it is growing. Just like the "growth economy". When growth stops, the scam collapses.

I’m not sure if any of you will remember the Pyramid scheme that was going on in the mid 90’s back in the UK. They chopped #100 of my money! I have a friend who lost a lot more than.

With that explained, Madoff basically took money from investors and instead of investing that money, he sat on it. Then he returned a percentage of those funds to the original investors claiming he was returning profits from his investment program but was, in fact, returning part of the original funds given to him. He made sure he was vocal about his returns. It looked as if he was a terrific investor. His high returns were seen as opportunity for other investors. As it became more difficult to make a profit in the financial market many hedge fund managers sent their own investor’s money to Madoff (a common practice among fund managers searching for help returning profits to investors). Madoff would then use “new” money to pay off requests for current investors looking to cash in their chips.

But the question then is- how did he get away with it? Where was SEC? How did no one think to investigate a highly profitable one man business? Initially he might have been the only brain behind it, but surely after it got REALLY big, he must have had help- right? Surely he ought to have faced scrutiny? I reckon he must have bribed an SEC insider, top offical(s), for them to turn a blind eye. I mean for 48 years he operated his business. And then they say we Nigerians are fraudulent. Aah!!! What they need to do is look at their backyard 1st.

The bottom line is that if it appears to be too good to be true, run like the wind.

Anyway, I want to start a scheme like this. I don’t mind going to prison at 71. I for don live life to the fullest by then.

On June 29, 2009 Madoff was sentenced to 150 years imprisonment and $170 billion in restitution. So all una wey dey contemplate carrying out this crime with me- think very well o! hehehehehe!

15 comments:

Yinkuslolo said...

I really like u last line, is Madoff the guy sentenced to 150 yrs?

But for real, the guy has finished chopping money for 70 yrs. i dont think Madoff was the only brain behind this scam

Fabulo-la said...

LOL! Its funny everytime I think of this guy, I cant help but laugh! Does make the SEC look a lil...clueless doesnt it?

Miss Enigma said...

Yup they really shd look in their backyard first! i feel sad for the ppl whose life savings r gone wiv Madoff, but for those who fall for yahoo scams....na greed cos am.

Sassy Trends said...

No comment!
x

The Girl with the Red Hair said...

Omo no be small matter!!!!

He guy must have had a serious insider to back him up...He guys has enjoy the better part of his life now.

Those ole/nanamu that fall for the yahoo scam na greed dey seriously worry them.

Tigeress said...

Oh waow, I was still making chages and already 5 comments. lol!! Thanks guys!

ShonaVixen said...

Tigeress what happened??? 5 people before me???

Lady X said...

Hahaha!
Just like the lady that stole a few cents here and there from peoples accounts in one bank. I think they sent her to jail but she refused to tell them where the money was.

chayomao said...

lol!
dude don enjoy life finish na only 150 years them fit give am when death is already knocking on his door!
i don tire!

NaijaBabe said...

As in, you ga bow for the guy!!! Nigerians aint gat nothing on him

ooj said...

No dulling for the guy side sha.... After all the hammer, na executive prison im dey sha o..Dem for bring the guy come Nige na, make im see prison

TRYBES said...

Life is transient and we should always remember that nothin in life should be taken for granted.His predicament is a good riddance to bad rubbish..Hope people can learn from his fall..

Thanks for sharing..

Flourishing Florida said...

wen i saw d title, i was like 'nigerian jew'????? one time like dat, igbos were claiming to be descendants of d jews. So i tot daz wot u were writing abt.


dis Maddof's business actually is operational n naija. there has been many versions of it. 'The more pple u register, d more money u make' business strategy. many pple i know have fallen victim of it. too many to count. I never participated cos i saw myself as a bad marketer & thus won't b able to convince pple to join my 'network'.

Kookie said...

150 YEARS? You know what's sad is that he probably has got worse sentence than some people who have taken life, abused children, raped women.

ah well you do the crime do the time...

Enkay said...

I think the guy is just taking the fall for some bigger guys out there.

There is NO way he pulled this off all by himself!