If you've not done so- check out Shona's new page on http://www.iamshona.com/
FYI, this was actually written last Saturday November 27th.
Oh my effing daze!!! My mum just makes me wanna scream one too many times. I just had an argument with my mum regarding colours I want for my wedding. The woman called me to ask me colours I want for my wedding which I was quick to remind her that my white wedding is MY day. MINE!!!! She can have the traditional wedding. My people come and deliver me from my mother o! I tell her my colours- do u know she had the audacity to tell me I can't choose those colours cos they don't match. LMHO!!! My fellow bloggers- asper I bi colour blind bah??!! E gba mi! And just incase yawl aren't aware- I do not av a one single toaster, talkless potential toaster or boyfriend and now talkless of fiance wey wan marry moi- Tigeress! Lagos men do not know I exist- my social life is a negative!! Now when I realized all of the above (I no get man) I felt real silly having such an argument with my mother and nipped the conversation in the bud sharp sharp!
I called my boy to vent only for him to state my wedding day belongs to parents of the couple. WTF??!! I'm sorry I know sey e don tey wey I comot for gidi but that's just a load of bullocks- I reckon. Cos I don't see why parents wld force me to av a big wedding or a fairytale one- dat what can fa? At this old age of mine.
Please my people am I silly to even think my wedding will be MY wedding? Personally I think i'm too grown for some fairytale/ attention calling wedding. Left to me- i go do registry. Or this one that I'm in Naija- does my wedding belong to the parents of the couple? And if so- I sure hope the marriage doesn't belong to them as well.
18 comments:
Babe....It's their wedding, your marriage (culled from some movie)....and that's God's honest truth
Uhm...in Nija I think it's the parent's wedding. Of course that's beyond me which is why I ain't getting married there.
Tega, I reassure you it will be my wedding- as I only intend on getting married once. Issue will only arise if my husband cannot set his foot down. If traditional wedding is theirs- no way white wedding can be theirs.
Parakeet- i'm either gonna do registry or destination. The fact i'm finally getting married- shld suffice.
Lol @ finally
Maybe if you do Freaksho and Sirius's style sha but mayne...Good luck with that babe
In Naija parents have a way of over-seeing and owning both weddings, BUT it depends on the relationship btwn the child and his/her parents, and the way u approach the issue.
The traditional is the parents and the white wedding is the couples. But obviously parents will wnt to hve their way so u have to put ur foot down on certain things that u wnt to go ur way, and then find sme other things to compromise on.
But all through the process remember ur parents are just as excited and over joyed as u are...so try and understand where they are coming from and dnt let it get to u (when dt time comes). But also dnt over compromise to the point where when u look back u'll regret not having certain things the way u liked.
Part two nor dey oo. Have a blessed weekend dear!
I was about to say, when did you get engaged!?!?
I have my wedding colors picked out also *wink, wink* and I'm currently toaster-less...lol.
I know in Naija culture parents own the wedding...but omo...na ur wedding o! Put your foot down jare, I know I will!
It is their wedding, your marriage
I thought for a second you were announcing your engagement with style!
I think it's possible to have the kind of wedding you want...but prepare for some tense moments. If it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger...isn't that what they say?
It's your wedding dear,
BUT,
It's the day you make your parents proud.
You get to choose the colours and all but with some advice that, if your taste isn't that good.. Lol..
Relax please!
I think it's best to work with them, let everyone be happy, including you o sha.
its yours jor
I see @Tega already helped me out here.
We fought hard and smart.
We made sure is was "our" wedding.They had their own wedding and I wasn't there to choose anything for them, why take ours?
And it was worth it.
lol! @ you don't even have a boyfriend. Try to work out a meeting ground with her so that you can both be happy. Truth be told, it's more often than not the parent's wedding.
I must be honest, only in your dreams or unless your parents are exceptionally understanding. My sister got married recently, I credit my parents with being one of the most understanding people ever. But they conceeded to her small registry wedding and they had the carnival with both the Nikkai and Traditional wedding. After a lot of plea to the couple. It worked well as both parties worked well together.
Goodluck
lol ! but I agree with Myne when the time comes work with her to come to an agreeable compromise... My mom recently asked what colour my fiancé and I chose for our engagement. I said blush and gold, she responded but I like lemon yellow. Huh?? I said ok wear lemon yellow...
My Wedding, My Marriage.
They already know that, my sister set the trend.
Now i just hope the man has the balls to keep his own parents at bay too.
I have told my family, if they want to make me miserable. I will go to the registry on a Tuesday Morning with my man and the witness and get married. Without their knowledge.
Welcome to Nigeria!
it's their wedding, ur marriage. I sang for over a year I wanted something very small. and they (including mother in-law) said no problem. But families have a way of getting what they want. So husband and I went through a big trad and invited absolutely no one for our court wedding except our witnesses.
Post a Comment